15 May 2007

Catching up!

I knew I hadn’t blogged for a while, but I was surprised to find my last entry was back in the middle of March! It’s been busy since then, but surely not that busy?!

What have I been up to? Well, 17 March was the first anniversary of my Dad’s death, and as you can imagine, there was a whole lot of emotion around that time. But I don’t know if I can really reflect coherently about that. As with other bereavements, I’m very much up and down. The biggest things I can sometimes carry off, whilst the smallest things “get me”! A familiar pattern.

I have taken on some responsibilities within the Diocesan Readers’ Association, including a role in our Archdeaconry, which is interesting and stimulating, but demanding too. Sometimes I don’t cope so well with “demanding”! It is literally years and years since I took on a new job!

Of course, there has been Easter – and Easter holidays! We managed a few days in London, including a trip to the theatre to see Stomp! I also managed to see the Cabinet War Rooms again – I’d been wanting to see the new Churchill Museum there, which is excellent, but I had seriously underestimated the time I would need to go round it all, so I ended up rushing. (Those who know me would probably say that one can never underestimate the time I take in museums …!) Actually my best trip to London was an indulgent day to see Richard Schiff – yes, Toby in The West Wing – in a one-man tour de force Underneath The Lintel. I even got to hang around at the stage door and meet him after the performance! (I know …!)


My wife arranged for a group of us to see African Snow at York Theatre Royal, so I’ve been to the theatre more times in the last couple of months than I usually manage in years. That, too, was a remarkable presentation. I have been greatly affected by what I have learnt around the anniversary of the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act. In reality, that whole era of slavery is a Holocaust we British are responsible for – I’d never really thought about it before. We saw Amazing Grace at the cimema too – a superb film, well worth seeing.

What else? In football, Free Agency and the NFL Draft, of course. The Packers are still re-building – no big acquisitions and some impatience from us fans – and from the franchise Quarterback too, by all accounts. And looking back, it’s surprising how many friends have dropped in – or attempted to – which rather makes me wonder why I sometimes feel isolated, happy as we are in our “new” place.

So, that’s a very quick sketch – am I up to date? Haven't even mentioned the prospect of a new Prime Minister, the replacement of the England Cricket Coach … What have I been thinking about all of that??

As for blogging - must try harder!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home