27 January 2009

Glass half-full, after all?

As you will see, I intended to publish this last December (!). Now, with the season of Advent long-gone (and my positive mood with it!) I needed to re-read my thoughts ...


4 December 2008

Reading a series of entries from Kathryn’s blog (
Good In Parts) in which she is chronicling a clearly manically busy but thoroughly blessed Advent, (see here) I realise that her attitude and mine are diametrically opposed!

I should say, “I realise again”, as I know I am prone to falling into a rather negative attitude. Particularly at this time of year, there is so much to do – or at least the impression that there is so much to do seems to loom over me and blight everything. I often think, as Advent proceeds and Christmas approaches, that
Scrooge was a much misunderstood man!

And yet … part of Advent must be looking for the Lord’s coming – whether in the Christmas or in the Kingdom sense. And part of it must be anticipation. Jesus came to inaugurate the “now and not yet” Kingdom – so where are the signs that he has been here? Where are the signs that he is active in the world (in my world) by his Holy Spirit?

There are joys and there are positive things even in a world of injustice and need, even in a life which is often busy and demanding. God’s Kingdom has not yet fully and finally come, but it does break in – and it breaks in more often and in more varied and wonderful ways than I am often able to see or prepared to admit!


Blessed are you, Sovereign God of all,

to you be praise and glory for ever.

In your tender compassion

the dawn from on high is breaking upon us

to dispel the lingering shadows of night.

As we look for your coming among us this day,

open our eyes to behold your presence

and strengthen our hands to do your will,

that the world may rejoice and give you praise.

Blessed be God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.


Blessed be God for ever.

(From Common Worship Morning Prayer for Advent)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home