21 July 2007

Davis doesn't go there

I am no great fan of the Conservative politician David Davis. I suppose if pressed, I would probably confess to grudging respect for him - a respect enhanced by an episode this week, recounted by the BBC's Nick Assinder.


Shadow home secretary David Davis wins the prize for the shortest, sharpest answer yet given by a guest at the monthly lunch for political journalists.

Davis was asked, first what advice he thinks Alastair Campbell would have given him had he been running his campaign to be leader of the Tory party and, second, what he believed David Cameron's biggest mistake had been so far.

After no more than a nano-second's pause, Mr Davis replied:

"He would have advised me not to answer the second question."

It was the only time I have witnessed a guest getting a round of applause half way through his appearance.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home